No one wants to hear the words, “You need a root canal”. But keep in mind that the root canal procedure is a far better fate than a lost tooth. With today’s advanced root canal technology, the treatment is easier to endure than ever before.
At our Los Gatos Dental Practice, our experienced Dentist Dr. Amir HagShenas is dedicated to providing excellent endodontic care while maintaining high levels of personal service. What that means for you is that we will walk you through every step of the process, keep you informed, and make sure you are comfortable and relaxed during your time in our chair.
To Save the Tooth
The root canals of each tooth house nerve tissue and dental pulp, which contain blood vessels that provide nourishment. When this tissue becomes infected, a tooth may be in danger of dying. Without a root canal, patients may experience severe swelling, bone loss, inflammation, toothache, darkening of the tooth, gum soreness, and drainage problems.
A root canal procedure is usually recommended after other dental treatment options have been considered. It is a treatment that is used to save a tooth from extraction, an absolute last-resort option at our practice. Root canals are common in cases where large cavities have done too much damage to fix with a tooth-colored filling or dental crown. They are also used in cases where a tooth infection is simply too invasive to control.
Steps of a Root Canal
Our Los Gatos Dental Practice offers state-of-the-art endodontic treatment to Los Gatos dental patients who need a solution to severe tooth damage right away.
- After a thorough X-ray session and evaluation, we can begin the root canal procedure. The first step in a root canal is to numb the area of the mouth being treated with local anesthesia.
- A rubber dam is placed over the tooth to isolate the treatment area.
- Next, Dr. HagShenas will drill a small hole in the wall of the tooth.
- The tissue inside the tooth root, the nerve and pulp, are gently extracted using root canal files.
- The canals are then cleaned well, flushed with a special sterilizing solution, and sealed off.
- During the next visit, the empty root canal is filled with a rubber compound called gutta percha.
- We will add an onlay or inlay to the tooth, followed by a dental crown to protect the enamel.
If you are searching for a comprehensive dental team that can take care of all your family’s dental needs, please contact Dr. Amir HagShenas. Our root canal services are performed with a high level of quality and attention to detail. Trust the dental center that truly cares about creating beautiful, healthy smiles for life.
Los Gatos Dentist Dr. HagShenas will provide you with excellent, personalized dental care and will make sure your visit to our dental office here in Los Gatos & San Jose will be as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Give us a call at 408.377.5134 or send an email to ContactUs@SVSmileSolutions.com and we look forward to hearing from you.